Monday 25 March 2013

When in Rome...

The Trevi Fountain
Photography by: Marina Bussandri
Having the opportunity to go to one of my favourite cities in the world, for a fourth time, this Easter made me one happy lady. This visit was very different to the other times I've been as we were staying and seeing the city with some locals, in fact they were priests. Giving a whole mew meaning to the name The Eternal City.

La Fontana di Trevi (The Trevi Fountain) is one of my favourite monuments, not just in Rome but on the entire planet. Aesthetically it just sings, the contrast of concave and convex shapes. A little fact I was told many years ago and still have not forgotten, the bottom left corner is unfinished! However this does nothing but add to the beauty of this sculptural beauty. In art, and as an art student, I feel that there is always something one can do to improve or expand on a piece of work. It is never finished. The fountain being incomplete means that it is harder to criticise, and we can appreciate this wonder for how it stands.

The Pantheon 
Photography by:
Marina Bussandri 
As we were staying to priests, they were kind enough to take us into The Vatican City. I got to see something than few get to witness and I feel very privileged to have done so. St Peter's Cathedral is an incredible work of art, both in size and detail, and when inside the Vatican one sees it from an incredibly different perspective.

Whilst on Via del Corso there were some street performers (who I had previously seen near the Trevi Fountain the day before). These metallic painted men I have seen before in various places, including London, but only performing alone or maximum in a pair. Seeing five together was captivating, the impact was much greater than seeing a sole person. It was more comical and the crowd were really enjoying interacting with them.

It was a trip filled with beauty, culture, history and of course food! I'm already planning my next trip.


Street Performers, Via del Corso
Photography by: Marina Bussandri




No comments:

Post a Comment