Monday 22 April 2013

Approach to Design Brief

As "The Importance of Being Earnest" is set in 'the present' I think it would take the design in an interesting direction if I take this literally and base my designs on today's society.
To keep it relevant to the themes and storyline of the play I plan to create costumes with modern silhouettes but pattern the fabrics using a contemporary twist on Victorian style. Contrasting these two elements will, I believe, create a visually engaging design aesthetic and something new for this classic text.
A further development I made whilst researching for the project was to take inspiration for the modern silhouettes only from British designers, thus keeping with the English setting and style of Wilde's play.
In addition, I will approach the theme of colour by using the associations with colours to decipher the appropriate one for each character. Then taking this inspiration and applying it to the fabric patterns.
I'm excited about beginning the design process and feel enthusiastic about where my project is heading.

No comments:

Post a Comment