Monday 29 April 2013

Which Characters?

I have realised that to design in depth for the costumes in "The Importance of Being Earnest" it is better to choose some characters, or some scenes, for this very short project. The time limitation means that to use my time efficiently I believe it would be better to focus on a couple of characters in depth, their change from scene to scene, and really outline their identity within my costume designs.
Male and female character is definitely the direction I would like to go in, otherwise the effectiveness of my all female cast would be lost in translation and the production is not actually being performed. It will also help me illustrate the current androgyny in womenswear.
Personally the characters of Algernon and Cecily, are my favourite couple in the play and there is the opportunity to design with contrast. Algernon the elaborate and mischievous bachelor and Cecily the young innocent country girl. In terms of colour and shape, designing for these two characters would be most enjoyable I think, and allow me to create something the most visually interesting for the audience to enjoy. Lady Bracknell is another character that I would enjoy to design for, however I think the time limitation is too short and therefore would affect in a bad way the quality of my designs for Algernon and Cecily. Consequently, I will only do this couple (A & C ) in depth. However, I could possibly create an entire cast sketch in the set, perhaps the last scene, which would allow me to create a fuller context in which my costume designs would be seen and the chance to design simplistically the other characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment