Tuesday 9 April 2013

Initial Reaction to Chosen Texts

Photography by: Marina Bussandri
When we received the Unit 3, part 2 brief I was excited to get going. I began by reading "The Importance of Being Earnest" which I absolutely loved. I thought it was funny, witty, and most importantly something I would enjoy designing for. However I thought it best to explore the other texts as well so as not to cut my options short. "The Judas Kiss" by David Hare I found less of an "easy-read", it didn't grip me as much and overall I was less enthusiastic. However the name immediately inspired ideas for a theme of colours, deep reds and maroons, purples and burgundies. Despite this excitement the colour possibilities, both Acts are set indoors, whereas in "The Importance of Being Earnest" had more variety. Also, It had female and male characters to design for which gives me as a designer a larger capacity for choice. As I am predominantly interested in costume, the large amounts of nudity in "The Judas Kiss" I felt also limited my choices. I went to see "The Judas Kiss" and enjoyed it but after seeing it realised that I was furthermore attracted to "The Importance of Being Earnest". The more I thought about it the more enthusiastic I became with Oscar Wilde's "The Importance of Being Earnest", consequently this is my final choice of text for Unit 3, part 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment